Wednesday 22 February 2017

Days 7&8 - Brisbane

Days 7&8 - Brisbane

I'm back again!! The last few days have been pretty low key, but I think that's exactly what I've been needing since I have caught a little but of a cold, and because my allergies are going nuts over here. The flight over from Airlie was quick but great! If you ever have a chance to fly Virgin airlines, do it!! It was only an hour flight and they gave us two snacks - a sandwich and a mini wrap. Like okay, I'll take five please.

I was starting to feel pretty sick on the plane - headache, runny nose, all that fun stuff. So, when I got to the Brisbane hostel, I was in the mood to just find food and go to bed. 

I'm staying at the YHA and Brisbane and it's so great! It's incredibly clean and the staff are all so friendly. I also stayed at a YHA in Airlie and while it was still great, it was a lot smaller and didn't have a lot to offer. This Yha has a rooftop pool, daily/nightly activities to get people engaged, and 24 hour reception. I was very pleased when I checked in.

Once I was settled, I explored the area. I found a grocery store and got some breakfast food for the mornings, then sat down at a bar and got a glass of wine while I waited for some take-out pizza. I went back to my hostel, ate, and knocked out. And bam, that's day 1 in Brisbane!

Today was great. I signed up for a walking tour of Brisbane and ended up meeting to lovely girls from the Netherlands. We spent the day together and ended up getting groceries and wine and made dinner together! Which was then followed by a few more drinks and some great conversation. One of the two girls just recently moved to Sydney, so I'm hoping I'll be able to reconnect with her when I make my way down there.

Im so thankful that I got a chance to meet these women and spend some time with them. I've realized that it's not necessarily the loneliness that's been bringing me down the last few days, but rather, the unknown. I'm never sure each day whether or not I'll be meeting people, or whether or not I'll be spending the day alone. I've always been such a big planner - so much so that I often even "plan" my mindset for the next day the night before. I like knowing what my day is going to look like before I live it, so that I can mentally prepare myself beforehand. I'm totally fine with/often prefer being alone, however, I like being able to know if I'm going to be alone or not a certain day so I can prep my mindset. I KNOW how silly that sounds, trust me, but that's just always been how I've operated! So that's definitely been tough on my mind, but this is what makes us grow! This trip is honestly just as much about self growth as it is about having fun. Not every day is going to be amazing, but every day I'm still challenging myself and growing.

Anyways, that whole rant came from me wanting to say how thankful I was for the two lovely Netherland ladies who took me in for the day! That evening we had some really great, stimulating conversation which I've been craving. It's so interesting talking to people from other counties and learning about different customs and norms. I've been spending a lot of time on my own, so being able to be an active contributor of conversation that goes deeper than small talk was just what I was needing!

The last couple of days have been so low key that I don't even have any PHOTOS. Who am I?!

I'm sleepy sleepy sleeeeepy.
Until next update,
Shay

No comments:

Post a Comment