Monday 13 February 2017

Day 2 - Brisbane

OKAY it's only day two and I'm having the greatest time! This post is going to be LONG.

This morning started out a bit rough. I was letting a lot of external issues get to me, and my overall mood was anxious and down. I was heavily focusing on the negative aspects that were making their way into my life - and believe me, I know, there are very few! However, I sometimes struggle with moving past the stresses that life throws at me - whether they're big or small.

My uncle dropped me off into the city with a few directions, knowing (actually, assuming) that that was all I needed and that I'd be fine! (I later realized he was quite correct)

A main reason that I wanted to go on this trip solo was because I've always had a habit of conforming to groups whenever possible. Not necessarily a bad quality! But, it's a quality that I've been ready to move on from. I don't like looking lost, I don't like not knowing where I'm going, and I don't like asking for help - I very much thrive in situations that I have complete control of. However, especially since graduating from UBC, I've learned to realize that those situations do not, and cannot, always exist. So, having to navigate myself around a new city, in 40 degree heat, while I was already feeling anxious was quite the nightmare.

Thankfully, my best friend Lindsay somehow managed to be there for me even when we're continents apart. I shot her a quick message and she was easily able to remind me of a few things:
1) She told me to find wifi, sit down, look at maps, and make a plan.
2) She said to focus on my behavior, and that once I start moving, my mood will follow.
3) To get over myself and just ask for help!

I needed a few words of encouragement and then I told myself to quit being a baby and realize where I am and the position that I'm in - take advantage, and don't take it for granted! I screenshot some maps on my phone and navigated my way through the city for the whole day, and guess what - I was FINE. More than fine, I had a fantastic day on my own.

I started the day at an outdoor shopping mall, and I ended up leaving with a dress. I am honestly the easiest target in stores - the sales clerk told me how much she loved my outfit, and then we got to chatting about Vancouver. She then picked up a dress that was on sale and told me how great it would look on me. So naturally, I tried it on and ended up walking out of the store with it 🙃 I didn't even think about the fact that I literally have to lay on top of my backpack in order to close it and that I definitely do NOT have the room (or the $$$) to be shopping. Ah well, what can ya do.
 
I then moved on from shopping and walked across the Brisbane river on the Victoria bridge. STUNNING. I met a few German travelers and chatted with them for a while on the other side. I also asked them to take a few photos of me - traveling alone is stressful for many reasons, one of the biggest being the fact that you do not have an on-hand instagram husband. Take advantage of anyone who is willing to take touristy photos for you!!

 
 
 

I found a ferris-wheel type thing (think London eye, but smaller) and hopped on that, just to make myself feel extra touristy. The area I was in is called Southbank - primo spot for solo tourists like myself. I kept myself busy and was able to visit the Gallery of Modern Art (my FAVE) and spent a solid two hours there. I was able to partake in a great exhibit that allowed visitors to leave letters filled with insight and/or gratitude. It was an indescribable experience. 
 
 
 

I also went to a science museum and was out of there within thirty minutes. It was filled with preserved creatures of Australia - all it did was scare me and make me think about all the creepy-crawlies that I may encounter on my trip.

After a busy day I was finally ready to head home, which meant facing a big fear of mine - public transport in unfamiliar places. I only had to call my uncle ONCE, but the rest of the way I figured out on my own (yay accomplishments!)

Once I was back home, my uncle made a four course stir fry meal and ensured that my wine glass was NEVER empty. I was able to relax and enjoy amazing food and drink with some family that I've thoroughly been enjoying spending time with. 

 

Day two reminded me of a lot of things. Reflections of the day aaaaare:
1) Human connections are fleeting. Relationships, friendships, genuine connections with other people are not guaranteed to last as long as you may want them to. Take advantage of the fact that you are in a city where nobody knows you. Take advantage of the fact that you are in an amazing position to create and experience so many fleeting connections. Take comfort in knowing how fleeting these connections are - knowing this, why wouldn't you reach out and connect with people as often as you can?

2) Being alone is fun! You have the power to do whatever you want, without having to think about anyone else - you can be completely selfish (like spending two hours at a museum of your choice and not feeling bad about it). 

3) Live in the moment! Don't allow anyone else's words to change your mood, don't let anyone else's opinion of you change your own opinion of yourself, and don't allow things that are out of your control to be a cause of anxiety. 

And I'm DONE. Wow. If you actually read this whole thing, THANKS! Glad my travels and spiritual musings were of interest to you.

I'm heading to Airlie beach tomorrow afternoon and I couldn't be more excited!

Until the next update,
Shay





2 comments:

  1. Keep up the blogging Shail, on the odd chance I get WiFi, I will be glued to your blog. You're a hero!

    (08) 9189 8013 is my number at work, seeing as the WiFi is intermittent in the outback. I may be on the other side of the country, but it is still the same country! Call if you need anything, I've flown longer distances for less important people. You're never alone in the world these days, don't forget that!

    Much Love cuz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the blogging Shail, on the odd chance I get WiFi, I will be glued to your blog. You're a hero!

    (08) 9189 8013 is my number at work, seeing as the WiFi is intermittent in the outback. I may be on the other side of the country, but it is still the same country! Call if you need anything, I've flown longer distances for less important people. You're never alone in the world these days, don't forget that!

    Much Love cuz!!!

    ReplyDelete