Thursday 23 February 2017

Days 10, 11&12 - Brisbane

Days 10&11&12 - Brisbane 


Guys. Yesterday I got to see KOALA BEARS. Because did you even go to Australia if you didn't see koala bears?! There's a sanctuary here called lonepine and it was just incredible. They have Tasmanian devils, platypus, a variety of birds, and kangaroos! I'm not entirely sure what the textbook difference is between a zoo and a sanctuary, but the entire vibe and feel of the place did not replace that of a zoo. The animals were not kept in small cages (in fact, they were often hard to spot in their giant enclosed habitats), and the animals always seemed to come first. For example, there were no outrageous shows that were forcing animals to do tricks or anything, and even when it came to holding the koalas, the tour guide said if they don't want to hold on to a person, they don't, and they're put back on their tree in their enclosure without question. Great! I got to hold a koala, and feed some kangaroos! (Which I was very scared to do at first because I hear they have one mean kick).


 

 



After the koala sanctuary, I had evening plans to see my old coworker Katie - her boyfriend Keegan is going to school at the University of Queensland, so they decided to move out to Brisbane together! They invited me over for dinner and then to an international students welcoming party for the evening. It was so nice having some home cooked food and catching up with Katie over some drinks! ($4 wine!!!! How?!) 


 


Needless to say, the day after was a bit of a lazy one for me, as my hangover headache did not seem to want to leave. But, I still made the best of it!! I was feeling super homesick (probably a side effect of my lovely hangover) and my nails were in tough shape (welcome to backpacking, Shay). So, I stumbled across what looked like an incredible salon and took a chance and got a manicure.


It was the BEST manicure I've ever gotten! The place is called "Brooklyn Beauty Bar" and they describe themselves as a "gentlewomen's club." They're 50% bar and 50% salon, their vibe is 1940's NYC, and they specialize in gin cocktails (if you know me well, you're already exploding, because I LOVE old school NYC and I LOVE gin). I died a little inside and made my appointment, knowing a little splurge was on it's way. The ladies were lovely and not only did I get an amazing cocktail and atmosphere, but the service was great too! I bite my nails and pick at my cuticles, so manicurists often have a hard time with my short brittle nails - but this one lady was amazing!


 

  

 



That evening, I purchased cheap student tickets to a local play and kept myself busy with that for the evening! It was actually an incredible play, called "The Flick" that chronicled the complicated lives of three individuals who all worked at a movie theatre together. 


Today, I went into the city and bought myself a cheap Australian straightener and an Australian phone charger (since my converters have chosen to HATE ME and have stopped working). After that I relaxed by the hostel's pool for a little while, then bussed back to my family's place for the evening! I was given good food, amazing drinks and great company - I'm very thankful. Tomorrow, I'm catching a train out to the Gold Coast and will be meeting up with a friend who goes to school there! I'm so excited šŸ¤—


A quick note on my thoughts this evening before calling it a night though - I have had SO many people message me saying things like "I'm so jealous of you!" "Your photos are amazing!" "I wish I was living your life, you look like you're having an amazing time!" "Your life is perfect!" And I have to laugh. Because, yes, I am very thankful to be here and I am having an amazing time! But man, social media can be misleading! We don't post photos of our bad days, we don't post photos of things that don't look amazing, so our lives on social media look perfect. Well, I can tell you that mine is very far from perfect, and while I'm extremely grateful to be on this journey, it has been HARD. For me, at least. My anxiety creeps in quite often, and makes me feel incapable of doing almost anything some days. This is the first time I've traveled alone and have been solely responsible for myself. The first time that I don't have a concrete "plan," and the first time that I don't have my parents a few hours away to help me out if I need it. Yes, I'm so thankful for this opportunity and yes, I'm doing my best to make the most of it and live in the moment, but damn, it's been hard, and no one sees that on social media! So please, the next time you see someone on social media and you wish to "trade lives" with them - remind yourself that they are going through struggles you have no idea about - we all are!



Until next update,

Shay


No comments:

Post a Comment