Sunday 26 February 2017

Days 13&14 - Gold Coast

I've made it to the Gold Coast yay!! I ended up seeing Katie and Keegan at the train station on my way there (what are the chances?!) as they were headed to the Gold Coast as well! It was really nice having some company on the hour or so train ride.


Once we arrived, we parted and I made my way to my hostel. Before booking hostels for this trip, I was always sure to do extensive research to ensure they were decent places to stay. I booked this one in the Gold Coast and didn't do a ton of research because I was short on time, so I just booked it. Such a big mistake 😭 I'm a tiny bit of a princess and can sometimes have too high of standards, but of course when it comes to hostels, I never expect too much, but THIS was way below what I expected - the photos and the actual thing were completely different! Aside from the full garbage can in my room (just roasting in the 40+ heat, leading to a not so nice smell) the room was okay. It didn't resemble the pictures at all, and definitely hadn't been thoroughly cleaned, but it was livable. The bathrooms, however, were terrible. The toilet seat was broken and only half of it remained, the garbage bins looked like they hadn't been taken out in days, there were no shower curtains (in a shared bathroom?) and the mirror on the wall was smashed. I wasn't too impressed, but I said to myself it was all part of the experience and dealt with it.


Just kidding. My friend Shivleen goes to law school at Bond University down in the Gold Coast, and she had offered to house me for the few days I was in town. Initially, I politely declined, not wanting to impose as I know she's in school right now. After arriving at the hostel I connected with her and decided to take her up on her offer and stay with her and her lovely roommate.


I'm glad I made that decision! Shivleen and her friends have adopted me and I've been able to thoroughly enjoy my weekend with them! Once I first arrived, we went to get dinner at a little pub, famous for its cocktails, and I decided to grab the #1 cocktail recommended by the waitress. It was delicious! And they poured it right in front of you out of a bong...interesting but very yummy. That evening Shivleen and her friends took me out to some of the local clubs and we had a blast! 

 


The following day, we went for a yummy hungover breakfast, made our way to the beach, then back home to shower and prepare ourselves for round two that evening. The beach was INCREDIBLE. Bright blue water and white sand, and it was so empty! The food has also been phenomenal. Every place I've been to so far has had amazing presentation and the taste has yet to disappoint.


 

 



I'm feeling so grateful to have Shivleen take me in for a few days, because at this point, I'm feeling incredibly home sick. Being a part of a group and having someone show me around this new area has been great.

 


I'm staying with Shivleen until Tuesday morning, so I'm sure we'll get up to more adventures within the next couple of days!


Until next update,

Shay

No comments:

Post a Comment